When it comes to the difference between bottled water and filtered water, different people may have different opinions. Bottled water is offered by water suppliers and companies who use special agents and chemicals to purify water, making the water much better for drinking. Compared with tap water, bottled water seems to have its advantages. However, if you have a habit of consuming bottled water, the buying cost may be very high in the long run. For example, supposing the cost of 1 gallon bottled water is 1 dollar and you need to consume at least 1 gallon water every day, you need to pay $365 per year. Therefore, it is really a lot of money you didn’t notice before.
Another alternative to bottled water is filtered tap water. In this post, we will discuss both the advantages and disadvantages of them. And we hope this guide can help you make a wise decision on choosing the right type of drinking water.
Some facts about water filtration
How to purify the tap water at home? There are at least 4 ways to purify your tap water, including reverse osmosis, distillation, water treatment, as well as filtration. However, we should see there is not one way that can completely remove all the contaminants in our water. Different ways may have different abilities to purify water and some of the benefits are also obvious:
- Offer you much cleaner water that is full of mineral. A water filter is able to remove chemicals, heavy metals, viruses & bacteria, as well as other types of contaminants, making the filtered water much cleaner than the tap water. This can help avoid some waterborne diseases, helping improving your health. Water filters come in many styles, like countertop water filters, water pitcher filters, whole house water filters and under sink water filters. Choosing which type determines how clean water you can get. This is because different types of filters use different filtration technologies.
- Help you access clean filtered water ASAP. Once you have a filter installed at home, you will find it is so convenient to get clean water to drink, cook or even wash. And you don’t need to buy bottled water in your local grocery. You will never need to pick up water bottles. Sometimes, if you ordered bottled water, the delivery time is also very long. And now, you don’t need to wait.
- Water quality guarantee – Bottled water seems suspicious, because you never know how the water companies purify water. Some companies just use tap water to fill. And you will not know what types of contaminants are in your bottled water. Well, having a water filtration installed in your house can help you control the water quality and make your drinking water much safer.
Disadvantages of home water filtration systems
- No regulation control – Both tap water and bottled water are under the regulation of the government health department, like FDA. However, if you have a filter to purify water, no similar department can regulate the filters. The effectiveness of removing contaminants depends on the manufacturers. This is different.
- High maintenance cost – In order to make sure your water filter can effectively remove contaminants, regular maintenance is needed. Generally, you need to replace its filters every several months and this will be a big burden on you.
Ever coin has 2 sides and drinking bottled water also has its advantages and disadvantages.
Some people may prefer to drink bottled water. On the market, some water companies also add some electrolytes in their water, giving people a good experience.
Advantages Of Bottled Water
- Better taste – Compared with tap water, bottled water has a better taste, because the former one may contain metallic taste. Why? This has reasons. Tap water is mainly treated by using chemical treatments and the pipes as well as other fixtures may have been installed for many years. Therefore, drinking bottled water can give a better taste.
- Much safe to consume – Bottled water from famous brands is high quality and choosing to drink them will enable not to risk your health. When there is a shortage of water, or you just go abroad, drinking bottled water can protect yourself at the most. This is because you never know the quality of the local tap water.
- Convenient to buy and carry – You can buy bottled water at any grocery store nearby and you can carry bottled water with ease. In a word, it is very convenient to use, compared with tap water.
Disadvantages of Bottled water
- Pricey – Even though 1 bottle of water is cheap, in the long run, buying bottled water will cost you much money than you think.
- Not pure as it seems – The procedure is a secret to us. Some brands even use tap water as bottled water. Chemicals, as well as other contaminants may exist in bottled water.
Considering more factors, we think a water filter can be a great choice for accessing clean filtered water at home and bottled water is an alternative for emergency use.