If you think an under sink water filter is expensive, you can consider a faucet water filter which is really an inexpensive alternative to a RO system. Such a filter can provide you with clean and safe filtered water once you turn on the tap. It is very convenient to use, because you don’t need to keep track of filling up dispensers or pitchers and you can easily attach it to your faucet without paying much to hire a professional to install. If you don’t have enough under sink space, a faucet water filter is your best choice.
However, they are prone to leaking due to improper installation or age. And water flow from them will become more and more slowly. This means you need to change the filter quite often. Even though the initial buying cost is small, the maintenance cost is relatively high due to the replacement filters. What’s worse, if you want to use hot water but forget to switch it off, the hot water will damage it and shorten its lifespan. Therefore, you should choose the best one for your faucet.
Actually, there are some models that do their best to overcome these problems. Of course, they are well-designed and well-manufactured. They are all from great companies which specialize in water treatment devices, including PUR, Brita, GE and Culligan. You can trust them because of their huge sales every day.
The following top 5 best faucet water filters were selected because of the following features:
- They all have a switch to allow you to change between regular tap water and filtered water, extending the filters’ lifespan.
- Good water flow- they all have good water flow, so they can quickly fill up a large container without waiting too long.
- Easy installation – They are all easy to install, without any knowledge or tools.
- Affordability – They are all affordable and the prices are under $50.
We also consider other factors, such as ratings, customer reviews etc.
Culligan FM-15A Faucet Filter
If you are looking for the most popular model with an affordable price, the Culligan FM-15A Faucet Filter is definitely your best choice. It offers its excellent basic performance. The price is only under $20. It is also very easy to install and use. Culligan is a famous company and their products are all high quality. This best faucet filter is worth to have.
DuPont WFFM350XCH Faucet Mount Water Filter
This is an advanced filter. It has an electronic display which can tell you how many gallons of water it has offered. This also can tell you when you need to change the filter. As a 4-stage filter, it can provide you with clean and safe water to drink and cook.
PUR FM-3500B Advanced Faucet Mount Water Filter
Many users said this model has a relatively shorter life than other models in this list. However, it is said that it has better water purification capabilities. It is able to remove up to 61 types of contaminants. It can offer up to 100 gallons of crystal clean filtered water. Generally, it can last 2 to 3 months on a regular basis. It also has a Led indicator to tell you when you need to change its filter. What’s more, it is easy to install and use. This model can offer you crisp, refreshing tasting water.
WaterPik Instapure F2C Faucet Filter System
This filtration system is very affordable. For under $20, It is certified by ANSI/NSF for the reduction of chlorine, improving the taste and odor. What’s more, it comes with a chrome and clear finish. The installation is also very straightforward without any tools. If you need a filter to reduce bad odor and taste from chlorine, this one is perfect.
Culligan FM-25 Faucet Mount Filter
This model is similar to FM-15A, but it comes with a chrome finish which can match the interior of many kitchens. The compact design doesn’t take up much space. The installation is also very simple, without any tools. It can effectively remove bad odor and taste, as well as other contaminants.
How to install a faucet water filter
These days, more and more people become more health conscious. And choosing which type of water to drink really matters. In the past, people might think bottled water was the most healthy and cleanest water to drink. However, bottled water is not thought to be as pure as it seems and it may contain harmful plastics. Plus, it is a little pricey in the long run. Therefore, if you ask me which types of pure water is considered to be good at a good price, my answer is filtered water filtered by a faucet water filter.
Many people would not like to purchase a faucet water filter, because they think the installing process is a little complicated and paying someone to install is also costly. However, on the contrary, installing a faucet mounted filter is so easy and you can do it yourself without hiring someone to do it.
The following steps will help you learn how to quickly and easily install a faucet filter in your kitchen.
1. Shut off the water supply
Generally, no water will come out from a faucet if it is not turned on. However, you’d better shut off the water valves (both cold and hot water valves) before installing a filter. And you can easily find these valves under the sink.
2. Remove the faucet aerator
Generally, there is a threaded aerator on the end of a faucet. Water will finally come out from the aerator. And the aerator should be removed. You need to use a cloth to wrap around, and this can protect the faucet. And then you can use a pipe wrench to loosen it. At last, you can spin the loosened aerator easily by hand.
3. Clean Seal/threads
The next step is to remove any possible residue off the threads which are located on the end of your faucet. And it is highly recommended to add a wrap or 2 of Teflon tape around these threads, which is helpful to seal them better after the faucet water filter has been installed.
4. Taking out all the Parts and check if an adapter is needed
And it is time to open the faucet filter package and take out all the parts. You can lay them on a cloth on your counter top. And you also need to check the sink faucet threads. If an adapter is needed, you need to use an adapter piece that is included in the faucet filter kit.
5. Install faucet attachment piece
Before installing, it is a good idea to look at the instructions coming with the filter. Mostly, you can find a diagram there. The diagram will tell you how to install a faucet filter and which piece should be threaded onto the faucet itself. And you need to make sure the water bottle which contains a cartridge filter is not attached.
6. Attach other parts
The next step is to attach the water bottle, and other necessary parts should also be attached.
The final step is to check if there is any leaking problem. And the water flow should be smooth from the filter. If there is any problem, check and solve it.
In the end
So the whole process is not so complicated as some people might imagine. And you can do it yourself with a few easy steps.
The Advantages of Faucet Water Filters
- Purer water – The ability to purify and clean the water can vary with the different faucet water filters. The basic purpose of every water filter is to eliminate the toxins or contaminants in the water to leave clean, odorless water that’s more pleasing to use or drink on a day-to-day basis.
- Cost-effective to run -For the families living in areas with low-quality tap water, it becomes necessary to buy bottled water to fulfill their daily needs. Even though the water filter has the initial cost and needs replacement filters every so often, this piece of kit has the ability to provide a continuous supply of crisp, clean water in the home. Over the long-term, this has the potential to save a lot of money.
- Very convenient – A family that has a regular supply of clean water is more likely to drink plain water instead of other less healthy drinks throughout the course of the day. Plus, it completely removes the time and effort needed to buy bottled water from elsewhere.
- Less stains or marks – Filtered water is a lot friendlier to your kitchenware and less likely to leave behind stains or other marks. Whether it is glasses or cutlery, everything in the kitchen will look cleaner and more appealing. Stains left by unfiltered water are a concern to many, this simply means less needs to be done to maintain the kitchen.
- Take control of the filtering – Some people might not be inclined to use the filters because they believe it will be a permanent addition to the home. But, this isn’t the case. These filter systems are easily removed from the faucet as and when required. In many cases, it is simply a process of pushing a button or turning a dial.
Buying guide for faucet water filters
- Brand name – Conduct your due diligence and research the different filter systems. Read reviews to see which has the features and qualities to match the needs of your home. If a filter looks the part, but constantly leaks, this particular model isn’t worth the time and effort. Go with one that is highly rated and receives favorable comments for customer service.
- Reliability – A faucet water filter system is required to filter water on a daily basis, which can mean hundreds of gallons over its lifespan. So, a reliable system is a must-have. Use online reviews and customer testimonials to find the best options in the market.
- Build material – Make sure to check the build material of the water filter. The high-quality units tend to be built in metal. In general, the metal-based systems are believed to filter better and grip tighter. A benefit of this is a noticeable reduction in leaks.
- Compatibility – The filter system must be at a size that is compatible with the existing setup of your kitchen. Not all of the filters will fit the tiny facets, so check the size before making a commitment to make a purchase. Also, make sure to include a relevant adapter or connector if needed.